BMW R25/3 Zundspule again

Begonnen von Goahead, 04 Juli 2016, 20:03:47

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Goahead

Hallo alle zusammen,

sorry ich Deutsch nicht sprechen.
Ich habe dies in Ingles Forum gepostet, aber es ist nicht sehr aktiv.
http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/boxerforum/index.php?topic=1037.0
Vielleicht können Sie mir helfen, Jungs :)

Hi Everyone

Yesterday (Sunday) i took the R25/3 1954 for a motorcycle gathering, but unfortunately, bike just died 30Km after the journey started...it was a very hot day here in PT...and engine case and gearbox were hot to the touch...(probably around 40-50C i would say)
Everything seemed right, gas, compression, etc etc but almost no spark (or none).I always thought that i had a weak spark in could, and the coil seems to be from the 50s.(wire leaving coil to spark plug is still tin soldered...old style)
After trying several things, i had to give up the ride and call for the trailer pick-up.
The beautiful journey with my 300 "friends" riding old bikes...ended. Bmw R25/3 being the worst bike in the all group :)
Next time i will catch them.

So...my question.  Since "original" ignition coils are expensive (the ones that fit inside the housing) and they will continue to suffer from heat, i was wondering if i could take the 2 wires (one from points and the other from rectifier/regulator) to the outside, and put a cheaper ignition coil bellow the gas tank.

Is this possible and reliable?
Any 6V coil will do?

I know that the bike will look a bit different from original (coil below tank), but i can maybe start to run the bike safer without coil issues.
50Km non stop would be a good goal :)

Please advise.

Kind regards
Goahead

rolf

Hallo,
"original coil will suffer from heat"......yes, after 40-60 Years, I only drive original inside coils, I don't like the others

"Expensive"?....roundabout 50-60 €

The coils you show are really for battery ignition? It seems more for magnetic ignition.

Greetings
Rolf

rolf

This last post is double post...ignore it.